Thursday, November 1, 2012

Fall Wardrobe Revamp: Too Big Sweater to Pretty Top


We are kicking off Fall Wardrobe Revamp 2012 with this first refashion. Here are the other bloggers who will be joining in the fun:

Palak from Make It Handmade
Rikka from Ricochet and Away
Kassi and Kaylie from Truly Lovely

Every thursday in Novemeber, I'm going to post a refashion or accessory tutorial that will help you revamp your wardrobe for the fall. In addition, I'll also be doing roundups of refashions and accessories that are just perfect for the fall. This month's Friday Features will also feature winter accessories and clever refashions for fall and winter. Palak and Rikka will also post Wardrobe revamp tutorials on their respective blogs. So are you ready to add some fall magic to your wardrobe? Grab our button and rev up that sewing machine.


In all honesty, I never cared too much for orange growing up. It was just too flashy, too 'out there' for my taste. Then something changed last year and I started loving this particular shade of orange, the one that is between red and orange. I don't know if it was the leaves turning colors or the bloggers falling head over heels for orange. Whatever it was I just started loving orange and hoarding orange-y things like crazy. I bought this sweater during a sale at Old Navy. Even in clearance it was priced a bit higher for my liking, I almost put it back, but then the texture and the color called my name and it came home with me.
Now finally I made something out of it that I would like to share with you all. It is very similar to the Kaftan Top I made earlier but much simpler.

Supplies: 
A too big sweater. It has to be really big. If you wear a size M, buy an XL for this refashion.
Ruffled lace or any other pretty trims ( pom-poms would also look good with this style)

Estimated time:
1 hour

Construction: 

Cut out both the layers of the sweater.

Sew  about an inch below the shoulders. This would fix the too low neckline and also remove an inch from the length.


Try the sweater on and mark how much you would like to take in. In this refashion, we are not taking in the sweater, instead we are keeping the excess out, hanging off the body of the sweater. So mark the silhouette you want with safety pins on both sides. Take out the sweater and sew a seam along the pins.

Now hack off the sides starting at the shoulders to give it a nice bat sleeve like silhouette. Basically you draw a slanted line starting just before the sleeve edge and ending at the hem of the sweater. I also made it a little curvy.

Now take a pretty trim, I used this pre-ruffled lace to finish the edges. Sew it such that it is sitting on the inside edge of the sweater, right sides together. Start at the bottom of the bat sleeves and go all the way to the other side.

Now fold the lace outwards and top-stitch. Repeat on the other side.

I realized that the center of the sweater was looking too plain and needed some pep, so I hand basted the lace in a U shape at the center and finished it by machine sewing. fold the end s of the lace on the inside.

sweater refashion tutorial by Blooms And Bugs

Now find a pretty model, a beautiful location and click away...Ok that was me. You find some pretty jewelry, cute shoes and have fun :)


Pin It

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting it over on Craftsbyjen.com the link will bring people right to this post. Please let me know if your traffic pick up. I also pin it over at Pinterest. My goal of my website is to get traffic to wonderful blog sites such as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jennifer. Appreciate the help in spreading the word. Could you send me you email id at bloomsandbugs gmail so I could give you the feedback about the traffic.
    Thanks again for your wonderful site and the opportunity for bloggers like me to get featured,
    Anshu

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really pretty - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Creative Mind, @ Laura : Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! That is so cute!!! I think they call shirts like that "bat wing shirts"? not sure... but I do know that they are pretty popular right now! I love the sweater and your tutorial is great! I've pinned so I can make my own!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Little Vintage Cottage: Yes they are called Bat Wings shirts too. thanks for the comment...I'm glad you found it useful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the idea of this series. Everything I make is upcycled or refashioned. I'll definitely be checking back in for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jenni,

    Thanks for stopping by.
    I'm glad that you found the series helpful.
    The access to your profile seems to be restricted as I couldn't see it when I clicked on your name. Would love to check out your refashions if you are blogging about it.

    Best,
    Anshu

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great refashion! the lace really makes the top.

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maansarovar law center is the best software company in delhi, check this best software company in delhi, top software company in delhi 2024. also check our software company in Delhifor 2024.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some sugar :)